Lunch at the Bunker 7/31/2020

Mr. Brandt had phoned me on Thursday morning and suggested to me that it just might be time for us to make a pilgrimage to the “Bunker” in Waterford WI for some Spam Burgers. I immediately expressed my enthusiasm for his idea; however I already had an existing reservation for today’s lunch but I was wide-open on Friday if he could work this into his schedule. Later that evening I received another call from Mr. Brandt where he reported that he was able accommodate my wishes and lead the ride to Waterford on Friday. He also mentioned that Mr. Gauss would be joining us on the ride.

George Gauss and I met up at the Brandt Mansion in beautiful Wauconda Illinois on Friday, July 31st at 11 AM. When I arrived, Mr. Gauss, Mr. Brandt and the Mistress of the Manor, the lovely and talented Mrs. Brandt, were already deep in conversation, but took the time to greet me.

At 11AM we bid our goodbyes to Mrs. Brandt, hoped on our bikes and headed out with Mr. Brandt in the lead. We enjoyed a leisurely 90-minute ride to Waterford as Mr. Brandt had put together a new route for this ride which consisted of parts of previous rides along with a selection of new roads for our riding pleasure. The ride went off perfectly until we were minutes from our rides end where an erroneous left-turn was made into a business’ driveway. Fortunately the driveway was quite wide and we were able to execute some absolutely perfect U-turns to get us back on our way in the correct direction.

We arrived at the Bunker around 12:30 and went inside to claim our rewards. Mr. Brandt and I each ordered a Spam Burgers and Fries but for some reason Mr. Gauss had to be different and ordered Italian Sausage. To wash this down we each enjoyed a (1) frosty-cold Amber Lager from Westein Company out of Milwaukee. The sandwiches were terrific, the service great and the bartender/cook friendly. Everything you expect from a Wisconsin eatery. After our respective pit-stops we headed for home.

Mr. Brandt had put in the effort and taken the time to plan a scenic return route but I had to disappoint him because I had promised Mrs. Penczak that I would be home around 3pm so we could step out for our Friday dinner. After riding the quick route back, which by the way was also on mostly back roads, I managed to walk in the door before 3:30. I am sure his new return route will not go to waste as we plan to return to the Bunker in the not too distant future.

I would like to thank Hugh for making the call and putting in the effort to plan a new route for George and I to enjoy. Combine this with a tasty lunch and the results were a great day.